Friday, June 17, 2011

Stuffing the Stomach with Stuffed Peppers

My dinner menu can often be dictated by the sale ads of the local grocery store’s newspaper. 77 cent red bell peppers this week made my college wallet happy! Yep, I might have had an over flowing basket of peppers. I love bell peppers! Raw, bell peppers are crunchy, flavorful, and full of vitamin c, however tonight I cooked them! Adding heat to the peppers makes them soft and sweeter. However it's important to realize the heat also diminishes their vitamin c content; but the good new is the heat also allows for a crucial release of some antioxidants we can't obtain from a purely raw diet. So lets crank up the heat and get to work.


Here we go:
I started with cooking some brown jasmine rice (rice always takes so long for my impatient tolerance, so I made sure to start it first).

1 cup brown jasmine rice
2 cups water

Then I took a pound of ground beef, throw it into my cast-iron skillet (no literal meaning of throw) and dowsed the beef with three table spoons of lime juice. I used a spatula to make sure all the meat had a change to get a sip of the sour liquid. Following this I added a half cup diced red onion, a tablespoon Onion powder, 2 teaspoons chili powder, and two teaspoons salt. I let the meat sit in the skillet for about five minutes before turning on the stove burner.

3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup diced red onion
tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon salt

The great part of stuffed bell pepper is there is no right or wrong way. I merely used the things on hand. I would have loved to put in some taco seasoning! But unfortunately I didn't have any. With a can of black beans and a jar of salsa in my cupboard, I decided to take a southwestern approach.

I turned on the stove to start cooking the meat (medium heat).  Then proceeded to add a cup of black beans (drained and rinsed) half a cup salsa and a generous cup of the now cooked rice.
1 cup rice
1 cup black beans
1/2 cup salsa


Once the peppers were hollowed, it was stuffin' time! Alternating cheese, meat, cheese, meat, I filled the peppers and slid them into the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.




Dig in with a fork- and don't be afraid to eat the pepper like an ice-cream cone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment