Monday, December 5, 2011

Chilly Chili


"Well the weather outside is frightful,
and finals aren't going to be delightful,
and since there's a lot to do... how about a big pot of chili to eat all week!" 

This morning I was greeted by fresh granulated snow that had blown in over night and deep cold 9 degree F temperature that clung to my exposed face.  Right away I knew it would be a chili night.
  

After a full day of classes, a slippery five mile run, and a back pack crammed with books and papers- it was finally time to head home to do well, more work. I stopped by the store to grab a few things for the night's super.

1can chili beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn 
2 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 pound ground beef
1small onion
spices:
1 Tablespoon steak seasoning? Found this baby in the cupboard
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon chili powder


I started with the small onion diced in a table spoon of olive oil, after it had a couple minutes to itself, I through in the ground beef. I mashed the ground beef up best I could with a spatula and added all the spices. After this I put in the 2 cans of diced tomatoes, the corn, and both cans of beans. It looks super watery at this point, but keeping the pot on low simmering heat and in no time it turns to thick and chunky chili. 



While the chili simmered I preheated the oven to 350 and got out my ingredients for corn bread!
3/4 cup corn meal
1.5 cups flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg (beaten in a separate small bowl first)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil 

I combine all the dry ingredients before adding all the wet ones. Once completely mixed, no clumps, I poured it into an 8x8 square oiled pan to bake for 20 min.



I put the corn bread into the oven once the chili had been on for 40 min. Once the hour was up the chili and  corn bread where both complete and ready for consumption! 



Happy Finals Week!



No comments:

Post a Comment