Saturday, October 29, 2011

Personalizing Your Eggs

Eggs: My breakfast just about every morning includes some sort of "egg dish." My roommate Allie would always call them "scramblers," my father would refer to them as "non-boring eggs," but regardless of the name, to me they're the protein that gets my day going!


One might think that eggs every morning would get  dull and repetitive. But I like to keep things fun and constantly changing. I love to try new things in my eggs- spices, herbs, cheeses, yogurts, veggies, anything I can think of!
The next four egg dishes are some of my favorite. I have not included measurements of ingredient in every dish due the fact everyone wants their eggs a different way. Eggs can become very personal. However I hope that these dishes can inspire creativity!   



1. Creamy Citrus Salmon
I'm not sure if it's the dill, or the cream cheese or the salmon in these eggs, but the flavor is powerful and savory! I whisk the eggs in a small bowl, then mix in the remaining ingredients before pouring into a lightly greased skillet.
Amounts of each ingredient is a personal preference. 
Capers 
Salmon (canned salmon makes these eggs super easy)
Cream cheese, cut into cubes 
Lemon juice (1 tablespoon for 2 eggs) 
Dill, or any herb readily on hand





2. Sundried tomato, basil and parmesan:
More often than not I make these eggs with only dried basil leaves and parmesan- things I usually have on hand. But today I went a little more fancy
2 eggs
small handful of fresh basil leaves chopped up
4 sundried tomatoes (in oil)   
1/8 cup shredded parmesan cheese 





3. Veg out
These are the my "every day eggs," meaning that when I wake up in the morning and get out the cartoon of eggs, I also hunt for what ever spear vegetable are lurking the fridge.
When I find the veggies I want, I sauté them until they are soft in a little olive oil before pouring in my whisked eggs.
Vegetable I often seek out:
Yellow squash
Zuchine
Mushrooms
Red onion
Spinach
Tomatos


4. Spicy Greek-yogurt and Avocado
These eggs started out as an experiment, and then turned into something I really enjoyed. It took me a bit of time to fit it all together, but eventually here's what it came down to:
2 eggs
¼ cup greek yogurt
1 small avocado cubed
1 tablespoon paprika
salt to taste





No comments:

Post a Comment