Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Seven Beans in one Salad; Seven Girls in one House

This is my twist on the classic four bean salad.
Apparently the idea of a salad full of beans is troubling to some people. I never thought twice about it. But the first time I served it to my boyfriend he stared at it a little confused. There was no lettuce, or noodle, or anything else to be comforted by (that you'd normally find in a salad). Like any runner, I'm always craving some carbs, so when I made it this time, I threw in a little pasta! and BAM- I had a  fueling pasta salad packed with a ton of protein from the beans.

(Rinse in a strainer and combine in a giant bowl)
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can green beans
1 can corn
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1.5 cups cooked orzo past

Dressing:
2 cups white vinegar
1.5 cups sugar
.5 cups olive oil
splash of worcestershire sauce
(combine in a bowl and whisk together before pouring over beans and pasta)

I like to let this sit over night. The longer you let it sit, the better it becomes!

No comments:

Post a Comment